Evaluating sales talent is a tricky business, but your success depends on it. To appreciate the impact, consider professional sports teams that do a lousy job of evaluating talent. Here in Chicago, our Cubs and Bears have endured epochs of ineffectiveness because they picked the wrong players. In business as well as sports, brilliant strategy, tactics, and coaching cannot overcome failure on the field.
When hiring sales reps, it’s easy to be misled. I’ve learned the hard way that certain qualities in a candidate look good on the surface but can actually cause trouble. Here they are:
1. Glibness. It’s natural for sales managers to assume a smooth talker will win the hearts and minds of prospects. However, the reality is smooth talkers can be off-putting, especially in industrial niches. In addition, glibness can be a sign of carelessness – something that will come back to haunt you if you have a long or complex sales cycle.
2. Aggressiveness. At the other extreme, hard-nosed closers seem like attractive hires, but more and more, pushiness is losing whatever effectiveness it may have had. The interactive Web and social media, among other things, have conditioned consumers and businesses to a conversational sell.
3. Experience. The only thing harder than training sales reps is retraining them. Old habits die hard, and even star performers have their share of bad ones. Furthermore, bringing in an experienced rep can cause disruptive cultural conflict within your organization – conflict that may far exceed the value the rep brings to the table. Proceed with extreme caution!
4. Team Player. Managers are attracted to candidates they think will be easy to manage, but the sad fact is, most star sales reps are high maintenance. Divas are called divas because they are a pain in the ass – but they are still the best at what they do. Sure, independent thinkers, self-starters, and risk takers have their quirks, but they get things done.
5. Intelligence. Don’t misunderstand: Intelligence is not a bad thing, but a sales rep who thinks too much can fall victim to analysis paralysis. Intelligence must be accompanied by decisiveness; if the choice comes down to a brilliant candidate or a decisive one, go with the latter and lean on the sales manager to help with the thinking. (See my Business Unplugged™ post Geniuses Are Idiots for more on this.)
Of course, to put these five qualities in proper perspective, you must have a clear understanding of your own sales process, your customers, and your competition. When you have those things nailed down, it is much easier to focus on the qualities you need, and avoid being distracted by the ones you don’t.
Over to You
Please share your insight and experience.
What qualities do you look for in a sales candidate?
Brad Shorr is the Director of B2B Marketing for Straight North, an Internet marketing agency headquartered in Chicago. With many years of entrepreneurial experience, he writes frequently on business strategy and content marketing topics.
I've seen a complete set of pictures from a individual wedding and I can assurance you, if you compensated that much money and predicted every individual picture to be a prize-winning picture, you would be really frustrated. Some pictures are truly spectacular, most are fantastic, many are just 'snaps' http://cancunphoto.mx .
Actually, soon enough since he took up workplace as Chancellor, Mr Osborne has passed out five regulations to the oil and gas market value well over £1bn. With more obviously in the direction we think it is probably time for a simple recap
It’s natural for revenue supervisors to believe a simple communicator will win the thoughts and hearts and thoughts of prospects next page. However, the reality is sleek talkers can be off-putting, especially in commercial areas. In addition, glibness can be a sign of negligence – something that will come back to bother you if you have a long or complicated revenue pattern.
Now it is fair to state that there are obviously several very expert and successful seo technical experts in the on the internet marketplace. The issue is discovering them http://flyjumpers9.webnode.com/.
The Sectors that were Rental did an excellent work within the year 2013 learn more. All of the international sectors don't have their very own building plus they would rather hire structures that are large.
Don’t misunderstand: a sales person who believes a lot of may fall prey to research paralysis, although Intellect isn't a poor point buy kids furniture. Decisiveness must accompanies intellect; opt for the latter and slim about the revenue supervisor to assist using the thinking when the option boils down to perhaps a definitive one or an amazing prospect.