I make people think. I make them laugh. I make them money.

How to Capture Your Best Creative Ideas Without Getting Distracted

Have you ever considered the impact of note-taking on your creativity and productivity? In Chris Bailey’s latest book, Hyperfocus: How to Work Less and Achieve More, he explains how writing your ideas down leads to both increased creativity and productivity. Streamline your attention by reining in distracting thoughts. When you’re working on a project or […]

You Just Got Laid Off. Should You Start a Business? Maybe…

There has been a bloodbath of layoffs in the tech sector over the past month. Each time I read about tens of thousands of good professionals being laid off, my heart hurts. I know exactly how they’re feeling because I was laid off three times in four years. In my LinkedIn feed, multiple people were […]

Burnout Has Many Faces. Excerpt From This Isn’t Working! 

My new book, This Isn’t Working! Evolving the Way We Work to Decrease Stress, Anxiety, and Depression, is now available for pre-order on Amazon here. I have been hearing from a lot of people who are feeling completely wiped out from 2022 as they head into 2023. I thought it might be helpful to share […]

Four Reasons Small Businesses Should Create Their Own Online Courses 

The e-learning industry is exploding. According to research, it’s expected to hit $350 billion by 2025.  Before now, it was a game for content creators, bloggers, and coaches to make money selling different types of online courses to their target audience. That has changed as small businesses are also diving in. Are you a small business […]

Why Making Goals to Reduce Your Workload Can Help You Achieve More

As entrepreneurs, it’s easy to get caught up in the hustle of building our businesses, setting goals to do more, achieve more, and make more progress. While it’s important to have ambition and drive, it’s also important to make time for rest and relaxation.  In fact, setting goals to reduce your workload can actually help […]

It’s Mid-January and You Already Feel Like You’ve Failed 

The video below from my colleague, Susan Eckstein, was brilliant. She talks about being in the locker room at her gym during the first week of January and the despair she heard in the voice of a woman on the other side of the lockers, saying to her friend that she had already failed – […]

My 3 Words for 2023

How do you stay focused and concentrate on the right things that will grow your business? How do you avoid “shiny object syndrome” and not get distracted by the new, exciting, or fun, which may or may not add any substantial value.  I think it is helpful to create a lens through which you evaluate […]

2023 New Year’s Resolutions from Small Businesses

2023 has just begun and there’s no better time to look back at the past years’ successes and failures, using those lessons to propel your business forward in the year ahead. So, we have again asked our amazing CarolRoth.com contributor network of business owners, experts, advisors and entrepreneurs to share their own personal business-related New […]

Happy Holidays 2022

All of us here at Business Unplugged wish you a happy and healthy holiday season, and a successful 2023. Thank you so much for being a part of our amazing community. We are taking a break, but we’ll be back on Tuesday, January 3, 2023. Photo by Roven Images on Unsplash

Deck Your Website With GIFs 

I have always thought of GIFs as funny things you include in a text or comment on Facebook. One of the video creation programs I use tried to position the ability to create GIFs in addition to MP4 videos as an upsell a while ago, and I frankly didn’t get it. I couldn’t see the […]